According to the American Diabetes Association (2011), 25.8 million children and adults have been diagnosed with diabetes in the United States. Approximately 2 million more are diagnosed every year, with another 79 million people considered to be in a pre-diabetes state. These millions of people are at risk of several alterations, including heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, neuropathy, and blindness. Since diabetes has a major impact on the health of millions of people around the world, it is essential for nurses to understand the pathophysiology and associated alterations of this disorder. In this Discussion, you compare two types of diabetes—diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
To prepare for this Discussion:
· Review Chapter 18 in the Huether and McCance text and Chapter 18 in the McPhee and Hammer text. Identify the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus. Consider the similarities and differences between resulting alterations of hormonal regulation.
· Select two of the following patient factors: genetics, gender, ethnicity, age, or behavior. Think about how the factors you selected might impact the diagnosis and prescription of treatment for these two types of diabetes.
1 page APA format
1. an explanation of the pathophysiology of diabetes mellitus and diabetes insipidus.
2. Describe the differences and similarities between resulting alterations of hormonal regulation.
3. Then explain how the factors you selected might impact the diagnosis and prescription of treatment for these two types of diabetes.
· Huether, S. E., & McCance, K. L. (2012). Understanding pathophysiology (Laureate custom ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby.
o Chapter 17, “Mechanisms of Hormonal Regulation”
This chapter explores mechanisms of hormonal regulation and the structure and function of the endocrine glands. It provides a foundation for examining alterations of the endocrine system, as well as the effects of aging on the endocrine glands.
o Chapter 18, “Alterations of Hormonal Regulation”
This chapter begins with an explanation of the mechanisms of hormonal alterations. It then discusses alterations of the hypothalamic-pituitary system, thyroid function, parathyroid function, endocrine pancreas, and adrenal function. It also covers the pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, and evaluation and treatment of type 1 and type 2 diabetes.
· McPhee, S. J., & Hammer, G. D. (2010). Pathophysiology of disease: An introduction to clinical medicine (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Medical.
o Chapter 17, “Disorders of the Parathyroids & Calcium & Phosphorus Metabolism”
This chapter explores the anatomy, histology, and associated mechanisms of the parathyroid glands, bone, vitamin D, and C cells. It then examines various disorders involving altered regulation of parathyroids, calcium, and phosphorous metabolism.
o Chapter 18, “Disorders of the Endocrine Pancreas”
This chapter explores the anatomy, histology, and physiology of the endocrine pancreas. It then covers the clinical presentation, etiology, pathophysiology, and clinical manifestations of endocrine pancreas disorders such as diabetes mellitus.
o Chapter 19, “Disorders of the Hypothalamus & Pituitary Gland”
This chapter covers the structure and function of the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. It then explores disorders relating to alterations of the hypothalamus and pituitary glands.
o Chapter 20, “Thyroid Disease”
This chapter explains thyroid hormones, including how they are formed and secreted. It then examines thyroid diseases such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, and goiters.
· American Diabetes Association. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.diabetes.org/
· The Endocrine Society. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.endo-society.org/
· The Hormone Foundation. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.hormone.org/
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more